Monday, December 16, 2013

Sibley Guide to Birds: Second Edition

Unless you have been living under a rock, most birders know by now that the new second edition to the Sibley Guide to Birds is coming out on March 11th, 2014.  In fact you can already pre-order online at Indigo.  Here is a link showing some of the new updated plates:

http://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/blog/2013/11/20/first-look-david-sibley-describes-changes-to-look-for-in-his-revised-guide-to-birds/

When the first edition came out back in 2000, it instantly became THE field guide to me, and I even had to purchase a second book as the other one got ridiculously beat up.  Over the years though the National Geographic Field Guide to Birds of North America has replaced Sibley's as my #1 guide given that it is more up to date.  I have the Sibley Field Guide app on my Samsung Galaxy S3, but the Nat Geo app is only available for those iSheep.

I probably don't have to mention that David Sibley is coming to Pelee during the Festival of Birds in 2014, for the weekend of May 3rd and May 4th.

http://friendsofpointpelee.com/festivalofbirds-special-programs

This is exciting and I hope to get my new edition signed that weekend, unless there is a mega rarity to chase, then I'm sorry Mr. Sibley, you are second priority.

1 comment:

  1. SO excited!!!!! This is my "go to" book as well, and my 3rd copy is wearing out rapidly (nearly split in two).

    ReplyDelete