Thursday, April 29, 2010

An evening walk




Rose-breasted Grosbeak (female)
Photo By Marianne Balkwill

After coming home and seeing a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak on the railing of our deck, Aaron and I decided to go for a walk in Pelee. We parked in the Delaurier parking lot and went for a little stroll. One of the first birds we saw was a Grasshopper Sparrow near the west side of the Delaurier house. Not a bad start to the evening! We began walking down Ander's footpath and slowly made a loop connecting back to the Delaurier trail. Not much in the way of birds, except Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and White-throated Sparrows. A FOY for me was a scolding Common Yellowthroat. Back on the actual Delaurier trail we ran into a nice pocket of warblers with at least 3 Black-throated Green Warblers, a Nashville Warbler, a Pine Warbler, a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers. Finishing off the trail we heard a Brown Thrasher singing on territory.

Next week on Wednesday I have to lead an evening hike here. Hopefully by then it will be more productive in the way of birdlife. We didn't stay long enough this evening to watch the Woodcocks so I might venture out on my day off on Sunday (please don't rain!) and see what time they start displaying.

I think the weekend looks very promising for bird migration, especially Friday night..But we shall see!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there with you on Anders. We have so much fun on that trail.

    ReplyDelete