Thursday, August 5, 2010

Seacliff Beach



--Baby Boni. Photo by Marianne Balkwill

For some odd reason, as I drove down towards the dock in Leamington this morning, it reminded me of when Aaron and I went to the Florida Keys last year. Maybe it was the humidity that reminded me of it, or the sound of the surf, or maybe it was the hope of spotting some post-breeding wanderer (Royal Tern) amongst the Common and Caspian Terns! ....no such luck today on that one! Just the usual suspects including Bonaparte's Gulls (plus 12 baby Boni's), 4 Caspian Terns, a scattering of Common Terns, Herring, and of course Ring-billed Gulls. One neat bird (and another bird very common in Florida) was a Mockingbird that was making quite a ruckus! Mallards (probably the same ones that hang around the Marina) were also at the shoreline.



--Northern Mockingbird. Photo by Marianne Balkwill

I also drove to the onion fields quickly to check out a couple of spots briefly for either Buff-breasted, Upland or Baird's Sandpipers. Today there were just tons of Killdeer, and a Yellowlegs. Maybe a little too early for these particular shorebirds, but then again I was very quick to scan. I'm sure there is something neat out there!

1 comment: