Friday, May 22, 2009

SHOREBIRD DETOUR

I'm scheduled for work this afternoon, and I had to pick up a few things in Leamington, so I decided to quickly check out the Hillman Marsh shorebird cell.

When I arrived at the cell, there was at least a thousand Boniparte's Gull present. Every time the flock flew up I scanned for something different. After scanning the flock multiple times, both in the air and on the ground, I did pick out a nice adult Little Gull.

Black-bellied Plovers were completely absent, still lots of Dunlin. Also picked out 14 Semipalmated Plover, 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 1 Least Sandpiper, 2 Killdeer, 6 Ruddy Turnstone, 9 Short-billed Dowitcher, and 1 Stilt Sandpiper. A flock of 29 Whimbrel flew low over the cell, but then changed their minds and continued north.

I also saw only ONE BIRDER!

1 comment:

  1. Huge number of shorebirds at Rondeau today! Nice to see that many all along the shoreline. Whimbrel are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete